Thread: advice please. multiple 13s - reshell or not?

Rides

advice please. multiple 13s - reshell or not?

after some advice please.

I currently own three 13's (dont ask!) and one i was doing as a project has kinda been abandoned.

long story short, i have an rb25 13 which runs and drives, with a body/chassis that needs some work and i have another shell that is nicer but ultimately nothing has been tested.

the green RB was well looked after it seems, drives lovely and everything bar the rear window and cigarette lighter works.

The red shell has two (uh oh) key barrels in it and i have never seen a bulb light up as i got it fairly stripped.

i am looking to pick the best car to build upwards and then sell the rest.

Thoughts on the best approach? is the red shell enough to reshell the RB into, or should i not risk it if the green one works?

Rides
    If the red shell is legit and it's the best one then re shell. That way you'd be keeping the best one.

Rides
    I'd start by checking a few key areas that rust on the S13 and see which shell is easier to maintain in the long run.

You really want to check the areas that are the most difficult to repair, and then decide from there what is the best shell IMO.

The front frame rails/chassis legs where they meet the front of the floor/footwells, they rot from the inside out. Also lift the carpet and check the footwells from the inside for any signs that there is rust behind them.

https://www.rustys13.com/s13-restora...l-rust-repair/

The rear of the sills on the very back-side rots out early too - So check there, and maybe give it all a poke with a screwdriver or something to be sure.

And above the exhaust on the rear chassis leg - Very difficult to repair properly with the boot floor in place - You can see in the pics how bad they can get.

Hope the pics help - It's actually my website and I'm hoping it will be useful for any S13 owners out there.

Rides
    I guess it makes sense if you make one really good s13 and future proof it from rust where possible. And then if you sell the parts that you don't need you can probably make back a lot of the money

Rides
    thanks guys, I think I am going to keep the best shell and reshell the RB into it. it is a fairly large amount of work but itll be worth it I think!

Rides
    vulture mode, you dont happen to have a complete drivers door in good condition with not rust/filler youd sell do you?

Rides
    I'd strip the red shell after checking it over to make sure it is really solid.

Take it back to bare metal (dip it ?) and then build it up from there with the wiring and RB25 from the car with the suspect shell (not sure what colour that is).

You should be able to recoup money on the parts from the red shell and maybe even sell the green car as a whole car.

I might have that a bit wrong as the colour of the first car you talk about is not clear.

In the meantime, you can keep driving the other car(s).

Rides
    sxbaz - sorry dont have any spare panels im afraid as they are full cars!

i think you might be right johnny. the rb car is green and i think it makes sense to take it out of that and put it into the red one. I am having the underside blasted at some point, and i had been tempted to cut the sills out first to see if its bad behind them, as then i could get them blasted and etched at the same time.

if i find too much crap near the spare wheel well, i am going to cut that out and flat bottom it, or put a rectangle sized well in for a fuel cell i think!

Rides
    So what about the third car you mentioned. Green one (RB25), red one (CA presumably) and what ?

Also, where in Essex as I might be able to find time to have a gander and offer an opinion ?

Rides
    the third car is the blue one in my project thread on here. I have to say I bit of more than I can chew with that one and even the green one is better haha.

im down in Clacton on Sea!

green gets repaired this weekend (oil relocation leaks) then all three are moving to the unit to be sorted out!

Rides
    I could probably organise a little run out on mbikes for me and Arry to Clacton one of these (sunny) weekends we're hoping to get this Summer.

Rides
    Hah if I ever have anything worth looking at! currently they all look a bit sorry for themselves!

Rides
    That's the point isn't it ? You want to know how bad they are and if they are worth saving, no ?

Arry and I have previous with 13s.

Rides
    yes sorry! was a dense 5 minutes there! hah.