Thread: Wiring issues, please help!

Rides

Wiring issues, please help!

It's taken me 7 years, but I've almost finished building my S14 back up. I went to test the wiring last night, and many components arent working.

A couple of years back when stripping the car, I removed the ABS control unit, and the loom that goes to it. At the time I thought this loom was only for the ABS, but now have realised that it also connects to the passenger door switch, and seatbelt pre-tensioner.
    Do I need this part of the loom for other components to operate correctly? It has two earth connections on it, which makes me think I do. Highlighted below:

Also, there is part of a loom which I believe goes to the passenter rear quarter panel, but I have nothing for it to connect to. It looks like the aftermarket alarm system has been spliced into this, so I'm guessing it's required. Any ideas what this would be for?

I've studied the workshop manual, and I'm fairly certain the above points are the cause of my issues. I'll go round and check/clean all of the earth points later on tonight.
    Last edited by Brookie; 17-04-2018 at 09:48.

Rides
    I’ve removed the dash, and checked the wiring over. All seems ok.
    Items not currently working:

Indicators
    Hazard lights
    Fuel pump
    Starter fired once, but didn’t turn. Hasn’t done anything since
    Power door locks

Any help would be much appreciated. I’m dying to start it up!
    Last edited by Brookie; 18-04-2018 at 18:27.

Rides
    At a guess, I would think your issue is in the passenger footwell area. Most of the items listed that aren’t working are controlled by relays which are in that area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    Right, OK. It’s very likely that my issues are due to the missing loom then. I’ll source that section of the loom and try again. Thanks mate.

Any ideas why the starter motor isn’t playing ball?

Rides
    Reading the S14 manual, a lot of the wiring diagrams show multi-remote control relays 1 and 2. Are these definitely fitted to UK cars, and if so, where are they located please?

Rides
    I had something similar when i had the loom out my S15. The fuse box in the drivers footwell has 4 connections on that can only be plugge din one way. However one of these connections is also the same as another plug under the dash which IIR goes to the drivers door loom. when these are switched i had:

none of the cluster worked apart from rev counter, no head lights or indicators but main beam, ignition lights but no crank, no electric windows but if you toggled them it would fire the fuel pump.

worth a check.

Rides
    Thanks mate, I'll check that out later on

Rides
    Small update: the headlights and taillights now work as they should

Checked all of the connections in the A-pillars, and I’m confident they’re all correct. I had a power lead connected to the chassis, rather than to the relay box. Fixing this seems to have sorted the headlights but I’ve still got all the other issues.

Rides
    I came across some old pictures of the car from before the loom was removed. There used to be an electrical box in the passenger rear quarter, but I no longer have it, and don't know what it is.

Does anyone know what this box is?