Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the love of gearbox’s

Rides

For the love of gearbox’s

Hi all well after having a shed load of work and money spent on my s14a the gearbox has started to whine it’s no bother as it’s one of these things that happens in life but I just wanted to ask what options I have here on offer??
    1. Is it worth me changing gearbox oil to see if this helps maybe use thinker oil??
    2. Get a second hand box
    3. Rebuild my box
    Can I just say gears engage fine syncro’s etc it just whines now after collecting from rolling road set up I take it pushing near 350bhp stresses them and the issue here is a bearing failing??
    I have also seen on conceptual they sell a kenjutsu gearbox rebuild kit synchros gears and gaskets has anybody used these??
    P.s it’s got a brand new act clutch/flywheel and release bearing only 100miles old so can’t be that

Rides
    if you are handy with a spanner and have access to a press you can just fit new bearings if your syncros are good.

pouring in thicker oil just winds up slowing down the syncos so it takes longer to shift gear at high RPM without grinding it in.

Rides
    My old gearbox whined for 4 years, I took it out and it’s now in my mates drift car still going strong.

Rides
    Thanks guys
    What you reckon then drop the oil out see if there’s any metal in the oil and bang some fresh in?
    the only thing I’m worried about is driving it like it is then the bearing does finally fail then knackers everything but to put a time scale on how long it lasts is as good a guess as anybody’s

Rides
    ive had boxes that last for years and other have lasted days.

changing the oil if your unsure of its age cant be a bad thing.

Rides
    Not sure Nissan ever wanted new gear oil put in these boxes as it such a PITA to do. Getting the old oil out's easy but refilling's a joke. Plus last time I refreshed the oil the bugger broke almost immediately afterwards, typical. Finding a decent 2nd hand box is a nightmare now as well. Not many about and the one's that are, are expensive junk. 350Z box is the solution but that's not simple and certainly not cheap either. I've had the box for a while now so eventually I'll do the conversion and hopefully never have to worry again, just need to sell a few more body parts.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Not sure Nissan ever wanted new gear oil put in these boxes as it such a PITA to do. Getting the old oil out's easy but refilling's a joke. Plus last time I refreshed the oil the bugger broke almost immediately afterwards, typical. Finding a decent 2nd hand box is a nightmare now as well. Not many about and the one's that are, are expensive junk. 350Z box is the solution but that's not simple and certainly not cheap either. I've had the box for a while now so eventually I'll do the conversion and hopefully never have to worry again, just need to sell a more body parts.
    Think I may get the kenjutsu rebuild kit and give it a go,I do know a little top tip in filling up the gearbox with oil you can slowly fill it up by pouring it though the gear shift(obviously remove rubber boot first)

Rides
    Have you got a link to that kit mate?

Can't see it on Conceptua's site, and would like to have a look at it.

Rides
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112642868342

Here’s the link let me know what you think

Rides
    I've just gathered a load of parts required to rebuild another box, (because I enjoy doing them).

All baulk rings, all needle rollers bearings and their bushes, all the spacers, all the shifting inserts and springs.
    Mainshaft and countershaft locking nuts
    Front cover gasket, and front and rear oil seals.
    Countershaft front and rear bearings (front bearing is Nissan only, all others in the box available from any bearing supplier, so I got them elsewhere)

These are all genuine Nissan OEM parts, which I got off the net from www.partsouq.com who are in UAE.

The cost and shipping time was the best part, £363 shipped to my door, in 4 days from ordering. Import fees on top was around £70, but I was seriously impressed.

As for the Kenjutsu kit, just be sure that it has the correct three piece 2nd and 3rd gear synchros, as the image on the link only shows one 3pc set. Some earlier boxes had just one 3pc set, but I've not seen one yet.

If you only do the bearings, I can get you the bearing numbers required, except the Nissan only one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by enzo; 24-04-2018 at 09:42.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvaughan180 View Post
    Think I may get the kenjutsu rebuild kit and give it a go,I do know a little top tip in filling up the gearbox with oil you can slowly fill it up by pouring it though the gear shift(obviously remove rubber boot first)
    That's the easiest way of doing it but you still got to get to the two bastard bolts at the front that are under the tunnel. I took a tank cutter to the car in the end as I'd spent the best part of an hour with various spanners and just couldn't get the f'er cracked. Easy peasy now and the hole's covered by the ashtray, JD!

Rides
    you don't have to take the gearbox top plate off.

you just take the circlip off the gearlever and the lever pops out leaving a nice big hole. cut a 2L fizzy pop bottle in half to make a funnel so you don't pour it all over your car.

Rides
    Sod paying £400 for a non-genuine rebuild kit, just put that money towards a box conversion, as standard sr boxes are shite, and at 350bhp it's only a matter of time before it breaks.

Also, refilling a box is easy, bit of hose in the fill hole and up into the bay, then pour it in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Not sure Nissan ever wanted new gear oil put in these boxes as it such a PITA to do. Getting the old oil out's easy but refilling's a joke. Plus last time I refreshed the oil the bugger broke almost immediately afterwards, typical. Finding a decent 2nd hand box is a nightmare now as well. Not many about and the one's that are, are expensive junk. 350Z box is the solution but that's not simple and certainly not cheap either. I've had the box for a while now so eventually I'll do the conversion and hopefully never have to worry again, just need to sell a few more body parts.
    I’ve got a CD009 in my garage to fit as well, best part of £2500 it’s cost me but I’ve gone for the best parts available so I’m sure it can be done cheaper...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Sod paying £400 for a non-genuine rebuild kit, just put that money towards a box conversion, as standard sr boxes are shite, and at 350bhp it's only a matter of time before it breaks.

Also, refilling a box is easy, bit of hose in the fill hole and up into the bay, then pour it in.
    What’s the best box’s to go for 350z? I know what your saying get a stronger box but I just put in brand new act clutch n flywheel

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo View Post
    I've just gathered a load of parts required to rebuild another box, (because I enjoy doing them).

All baulk rings, all needle rollers bearings and their bushes, all the spacers, all the shifting inserts and springs.
    Mainshaft and countershaft locking nuts
    Front cover gasket, and front and rear oil seals.
    Countershaft front and rear bearings (front bearing is Nissan only, all others in the box available from any bearing supplier, so I got them elsewhere)

These are all genuine Nissan OEM parts, which I got off the net from www.partsouq.com who are in UAE.

The cost and shipping time was the best part, £363 shipped to my door, in 4 days from ordering. Import fees on top was around £70, but I was seriously impressed.

As for the Kenjutsu kit, just be sure that it has the correct three piece 2nd and 3rd gear synchros, as the image on the link only shows one 3pc set. Some earlier boxes had just one 3pc set, but I've not seen one yet.

If you only do the bearings, I can get you the bearing numbers required, except the Nissan only one.
    Thanks for the advice let me know if you fancy selling a rebuilt box ��

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvaughan180 View Post
    What’s the best box’s to go for 350z? I know what your saying get a stronger box but I just put in brand new act clutch n flywheel
    You could re-use the clutch, but would have to swap your flywheel to an S15 unit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    You could re-use the clutch, but would have to swap your flywheel to an S15 unit.
    My conversion keeps the Oem flywheel and clutch set up luckily

Rides
    That’s handy. Does your kit replace the flange of the bell housing?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    That’s handy. Does your kit replace the flange of the bell housing?
    It’s the mazworx kit, so it replaces the bell housing.