Thread: RB25 hot start problem

Rides

RB25 hot start problem

Ever since fitting my RB25 it starts fine when cold (when the battery is charged that is) then when it's been running for 10 mins or more and switch it off it won't start again. So I could drive from my house to the petrol station and it won't start again. Engine turns really slowly as if the battery is flat. Once it's cooled down enough it starts fine again and engine turns over quickly enough, so it's not the battery at fault.

Any ideas? Earth problem or time for a new starter motor?

Rides
    starter getting lazy when warm?

Rides
    Mines started doing this occasionally too, when warm if I go to start it it’ll have a very slow crank as if a dead battery, turn key back off and then crank again it’ll try to fire but normally won’t go, try on and off for a third time with a bit of gas and it goes. I’m also leaning towards dodgy starter motor, I’ve got a battery relocate fitted too and it kept blowing the inline fuse in the boot when it did this. Let me know if you get to the bottom of your issue, if not I’ll be swapping starter out in couple of weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Glad to hear mine isn't the only one doing it then. I'm gonna try adding an earth strap from one of the starter motor bolts to the chassis, and a new earth cable for the battery. Battery is relocated to the boot with a BMW battery cable.

Failing all that I'll try and get the starter motor reconditioned. There's a place near me that still does that for starter motors and alternators.

Rides
    Fixed this issue today. Turned out it was the push-fit plug onto the solenoid was loose and the terminal was a but corroded. Cleaned it up, greased it and pushed the plug back on with a cable-tie to hold it in place. Tried starting it a few times when hot and seems to be fine now.

Rides
    Glad you managed to fix yours. I missed the previous post, I’ve already added tons of grounds in the engine bay, a voltage stabiliser and 2 0 gauge battery earths in the boot. What solenoid was it that you had to fiddle with?

Rides
    just delete the hot start

Rides
    Kind of hard when you go places and then need to leave haha

Rides
    I haven't got the hot start on my RB and never had any problems with it starting

Rides
    Sorry mate I thought you meant just don’t start it when it’s hot haha didn’t know they had a hot start? Where is it and what is it?

Rides
    I cant fully remember but i'll have a look at my loom

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Glad you managed to fix yours. I missed the previous post, I’ve already added tons of grounds in the engine bay, a voltage stabiliser and 2 0 gauge battery earths in the boot. What solenoid was it that you had to fiddle with?

Literally the push-fit plug with a single wire on it going into the solenoid on the starter, it's the signal wire to actually make it kick. It's basically just a spade connector with a black plastic plug around it. Mine was loose and was nearly hanging off so now it's making full contact it seems to be fixed. Also replaced the battery since that was getting a bit iffy but even fully charged would still have this hot-start problem. Checked it with a volt meter yesterday and was showing 13.8v but symptoms were same as a flat battery. So I'm pretty confident I've solved the problem.

Yours might not be the same issue but it's well worth checking and making sure that plug is making good contact. I checked yesterday and I'd already fitted an earth strap from the starter motor mounting bolt to the chassis leg so it's properly earthed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Kind of hard when you go places and then need to leave haha

This was exactly my worry yesterday haha. Car had zero petrol in it, so went and got a gallon can and put that in the car. Knew if I drove to the petrol station I wouldn't get it started again for at least half an hour so just had to drive off-boost the 15 miles to the garage hoping it would do at least 15mpg! Now to fix my brake servo problem and loads of boost leaks, then the car might be driveable!

Rides
    Mines not that bad yet, it will start when hot but like I said I need to on and off about 3 times before it’ll fire, I was aiming at starter as it kept blowing the inline fuse originally, so swapped that out for a trip unit instead which now doubles up as my battery kill to stop the thing draining all the time haha but now it doesn’t trip out just has this weird starting issue. Bloody cars aye haha