Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Gaskets??

Rides

Turbo Gaskets??

Hi all,

Finally got my car on the road after importing it and after the first real drive last night the turbo gasket has left the building

My question is where are we getting these from these days? Apex are no longer the go to guys for 200sx, Driftworks don’t have any in stock? Where else should I look?

Also what else should I be changing? Nuts, washers, locking tabs turbo elbow gasket?

Now before anyone says use the search!! I know there is a million threads but I’m struggling to find a decent uk supplier hence the thread

Rides
    Best to use OEM gaskets as they are the best quality. Can buy direct from nissan or conceptua tuning on eBay will stock them as well as many other OEM bits like wheel bearings etc.

I would replace the elbow gasket too whilst you are there as it needs to come off anyway.

You can reuse the lock tabs but you will need new copper lock nuts (the are oval and will lock up once bolted down)

Rides
    conceptua are the go to guys for parts like this. I tend to just call them

Rides
    Nissan gasket and binx locking nuts with spring washers. They are awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    After chatting to a guy who builds cars from scratch out of a shed... I no longer use gaskets and its the best thing I ever did IMHO!

Both surfaces need to be perfectly flat, which does take a bit of work (do able with a straight edge and sandpaper) but well worth it! I also just use normal bolts (no lockers) so easy to nip up when they work a little loose.

Also a flexi in the system and bracing helps whether you run with gaskets or not.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    conceptua are the go to guys for parts like this. I tend to just call them
    Yeah I actually found there ebay store after posting this, seem to have all bits needed!! I was going to change the standard elbow and downpipe but not right now, but since its apart I may as well do it ha

Rides
    It's easier to take the whole manifold off, so need manifold gaskets as well. Ok the two nuts behind the turbo are a PITA but you can do up the elbow and flange properly. I've also had a real cuss getting the rear banjo started (the pipe had been bent to allow a badly routed braided hose to fit).

Rides
    Thanks for replies I hadn’t planned on taking the whole manifold off rather than trying to get it off seperately, first time I’ve attempted it but hopefully not to many issues. Does anyone use exhaust paste on gaskets/joint or picture on nuts/studs??

Also other day I pulled a few bits

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sxwanabee View Post
    Thanks for replies I hadn’t planned on taking the whole manifold off rather than trying to get it off seperately, first time I’ve attempted it but hopefully not to many issues. Does anyone use exhaust paste on gaskets/joint or picture on nuts/studs??

Also other day I pulled a few bits
    It’s not too bad of a job. Should be out within an hour or two if your not experienced.

Please don’t use exhaust paste lol, use nissan gaskets and binx locking nuts + spring washers for the turbo.

Rides
    Any particular type of spring washers or will any 8mm ones do the job?? Just normal steel??

Tbh I wasn’t actually going to use exhaust paste haha �� But I asked the daft question

Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post
    It’s not too bad of a job. Should be out within an hour or two if your not experienced.

Please don’t use exhaust paste lol, use nissan gaskets and binx locking nuts + spring washers for the turbo.

Rides
    I just used any spring washers. Didn’t use any on my mates turbo tho and it was fine but I just like it as safety.

Rides
    Any particular type of spring washers or will any 8mm ones do the job?? Just normal steel??

Tbh I wasn’t actually going to use exhaust paste haha �� But I asked the daft question

Rides
    Have a read a few guides on here and other sites some mention one of first stage being drain coolant and some mention maybe even drop oil? Is this required? I have braided hoses on way to replace existing with, if that makes a difference??

Rides
    I used a genuine oem gasket for both sides of the turbo and used philidas lock nuts and there good

Just take the manifold and turbo off together there is no way to get to the lock tabs with it on the car I don’t think

Rides
    Have a read a few guides on here and other sites some mention one of first stage being drain coolant and some mention maybe even drop oil? Is this required? I have braided hoses on way to replace existing with, if that makes a difference??
    I don’t bother. Even if you drain the coolant itll piss out of the turbo, so just crack one bolts loose on the turbo water feeds and let it drain that way

Rides
    I don’t bother. Even if you drain the coolant itll piss out of the turbo, so just crack one bolts loose on the turbo water feeds and let it drain that way

Cheers anything specific to look out for when refilling coolant?

Rides
    Cheers anything specific to look out for when refilling coolant?
    No not really. Just refill through the rad and let the car warm up without the radiator cap.

Preferrably have the front of the car raised or facing uphill so you can bleed the system better!

Rides
    I got a Nissan gasket here if you need one still

Rides
    No not really. Just refill through the rad and let the car warm up without the radiator cap.

Preferrably have the front of the car raised or facing uphill so you can bleed the system better!

Will do mate thanks for tip still on axel stands it started pissing just as I finished so hopefully get it all sorted. Gave it a quick wee Rev sounded nice with the downpipe and decat looking forward to hearing it tomorrow and fingers crossed it drives and boosts ok I do t fancy doing that again in a hurry ha

Rides
    Well hopefully my last post on this thread got everything buttoned up this morning and went a drive. Think I got coolant bled ok good to temp and the needle didn’t go over normal will double check the level in a bit.

My question is should there be a bit of smoke and smell from the manifold/turbo area? I’m guessing it’s just residual oils etc and all coatings coming off and burning away? Is that correct only had it running 20mins and took it a 3 mile ish run at most around the block.