Thread: Steering linkage too short after fitting modified subframe?

Rides

Steering linkage too short after fitting modified subframe?

Afternoon all, today ive fitted my modified front subframe, now im having a right game getting the steering linkage back on, i think its because the rack is so much further forward, ive slid the knuckle as far down the shaft as possible and it still wont engage all the way on the rack to get the bolt in.

Any ideas?

Cheers chaps!!

Rides
    the upper half (above the second U/J) of the column can telescope/extend a few inches,it will be near solid as not moved in years
    some will move with lots of effort,if your really lucky it will move by hand by just pulling down on it
    one method is with U/J bolted tight to rack spline stub clamp lower U/J to the column and if the rack mount bolts will reach use them (or some longer bolts)
    to draw/pull the rack on to the sub frame,once it's moved it should slide/move easier
    rack mount bolts are m12x1.25
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 05-07-2018 at 14:31.

Rides
    Cheers man! I got there in the end with much loosening if the rack and many lever bars.

Slightly worried that the linkage is pulling the pinion on the rack now but time will tell.

Rides
    my guess the column extended if it fits now,if the rack turns left and right as freely as a powered rack can
    there shouldn't be any load on the pinion and rack gears, the large seal holder area of the pinion shaft butts up to the upper housing bearing
    so it can't pull out of the rack any amount anyway tbh
    I'm in the middle of doing a full de-powered /lightweight rack for my 13 so got all the bits at hand currently
    a powered rack will still have some drag or resistance,it won't turn a freely as a manual/non powered rack

Rides
    Perfect man cheers for the info!

Yeah the upper spline as such definitely slid down.

Rides
    See I always just cut and weld them longer as I'm paranoid about how much extra you actually get in the extendable part