Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jimbothemagnificent's S14

Rides
    Looks a lovely 14 mate! Nice buy

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s13spooner View Post
    Your fairly getting on with the graft! Good to see haha, wish I could be making same speed of progress as yourself
    Yeah, I get over excited. Point in case, this happened when I got home from work today....
    PSX_20180727_192719.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    Looks a lovely 14 mate! Nice buy
    Thanks mate, it will be nice one day! It's a good starting point.

Rides
    Better out than in I say. Reason?

Rides
    Mostly because I'm sick of the electrical gremlins. My plans for the weekend fell through, so I'm going to have a romantic weekend in with the multimeter.
    The dash is badly sun damaged and cracked too. I was going to save it for a winter job, but it's such an eyesore that I just can't leave it anymore. The wheels are pretty shagged so I'm not driving it much anyway until I can replace them.

On that note, does this sound about right?
    Front 8x17 et 20
    Rear 9x17 et 20
    I'm looking for a roughly period style, though probably a new copy. I like a purposeful looking tyre, not a fan of stretchy stance on my own cars.

Rides
    For reference, this does it for me.

FB_IMG_1532723113100.jpg

Oh, sweet mother of all that is holy, THIS DOES IT FOR ME.

Rides
    The interior retrim is coming along well, though only the dash is back in right now as I'm waiting on a few parts. It's slow going, but it looks SO much better. I wish I'd taken a before photo of the dash because it was in an awful state; the usual big cracks and a bunch of holes and damage. It's all repaired and covered in a fake suede material with blue stitching.

Dash and new wheel
    dash1LQ.jpg
    dash2LQ.jpg

Ebay special radiator expansion tank as the old plastic one was falling to bits.
    tank1LQ.jpg

I found some Buddyclub P1s for a good price, they were pretty scabby as they'd sat in a shed for a few years, but all straight with no damage other than paint. So I've stripped them down and repainted them, it's a pretty close colour to the original dark grey, I'll get some lacquer on them tomorrow. I've got some arch rolling to do and I'm waiting on spacers (I know, spacers are dirty), but should have them on in a week or so.

I spent today hunting rattles. The worst one was coming from the boot lid. I adjusted the latch, but it wasn't enough, and I couldn't find the little rubber anti-rattle things anywhere in the UK. So I just got fed up and made some temporary ones for now. They're caps from glue bottles and a bit of tape inside old mountain bike handlebar grips, bolted through rivnuts on the boot lid. It might look stupid, but it works!
    boot1LQ.jpg
    boot2LQ.jpg
    Last edited by jimbothemagnificent; 09-09-2018 at 17:21.

Rides
    If you're wondering what's involved in retrimming the interior panels: Contact adhesive, patience, and a HEAP of clothes pegs. This has been my evenings for the last three weeks!
    trim1LQ.jpg

The wheels are painted and lacquered, they're curing inside until my spacers arrive, then I'll seal and wax them before they go on. They were a dark metallic grey, but living in a damp shed had taken it's toll and there was a lot of flaking paint. I stripped them down and primed them, then painted in Audi Dakota Grey with Halfords rattle cans (I have a lot of experience of painting with these). Unfortunately the last can was a dud, with only the face of the last wheel to paint. FFS. I took it back but none of the shops within three hours drive had any more cans! I tried to colour match with the caps on the cans, ended up with Ford Sea Grey, which was completely different once sprayed on. Another trip to Halfords and I got their own brand Anthracite wheels paint. It's an uncanny match to the Audi grey. Like, identical. So heaps of that plus a bunch of hardcore PU lacquer.

If I'm honest, it's not my best job ever, but by the standards of "things done in a couple of days in your mates' shed" it's freaking magnificent.

Teaser pic
    wheels3LQ.jpg

Rides
    The wheels have been on for about a week. SO MUCH BETTER. The car now looks like somebody actually likes it.
    The arches had been hammered out, so I tidied up the rears and the fronts needed a pretty good roll. The fronts are pretty tight, there's a hint of rub on full lock but not enough to worry about. The rears are just tucked under nicely with those 255s.

wheels5LQ.jpg

Fronts
    wheels4LQ.jpg

Mandatory broadway mirror.
    mirror1LQ.jpg

I finally found a solenoid for the Greddy EBC. It was a bit of a bugger to fit as it needs different sized hose compared to the wastegate and intake, but I found some reducers eventually. I took it out for a run in the dark, which was exciting because I have no light in the instrument panel, and it seems to be working. Unfortunately the clutch seems to be slipping as soon as I put more boost in. That's not going to be a fun job without a garage.

Solenoid with custom damped mount.
    EBC1.jpg

Rides
    I also go around to putting in my Stack mechanical boost gauge, but I need to fix the dash lights before I run power to it for the light. Any ideas why the instrument cluster lights would stay on with the key removed?

Bonus photo during the wheel change for comedy value...

wheels6LQ.jpg

Banned
    Rides
    Nice one

Rides
    Great work mate. You’ve been well and truly initiated into Sbody life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    Your fairly cracking on with the graft! The wheels deffo make the car look better, I always wanted to try interior re trimming but scared haha

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk