Thread: Speedo possessed by demons.

Rides

Speedo possessed by demons.

I've got a s14 with a speedo problem. I'm really not good with electronics.

Firstly, it just didn't work most of the time, with brief moments of erratic and unreasonable indications. I took it out and cleaned up the circuit board, there was some amber coloured crystalline stuff on a few of the solder points, no idea what it was. I resoldered these points. It worked perfectly for about 20 minutes. Now the speedo reads 60kph whenever the car is moving and zero when stationary.

I also changed the bulbs in the instrument cluster, then noticed the next day that they don't turn off with the ignition. I've taken them out to preserve the battery, they were pretty warm after a 30 minute drive and 10 minute cool down.

The odometer and trip clock don't work.

I don't think it's the speed sensor because the TechTom (digital readout that plugs into the diagnostic port) works perfectly.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Rides
    Have you checked the wiring harness under the OSF wheel arch? Mine rubbed through and whenever I hit a puddle it all went mental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Ah, is that a common problem? I'll pull that out when I get the car back, I was going to pull the instrument loom out too. Thanks!

Rides
    Yeah I would say drivers arch loom would be a good place to look. I think all s chassis suffer with this problem when the cars are lowered without a loom tuck

Rides
    Thanks, I'll investigate that as soon as I have the car back home.

If I do need to replace the whole cluster, does anybody know if a UK spec cluster will be a straight plug-in on a JDM car? And are s14 and s14a interchangeable?