Thread: Brake servo issue

Rides

Brake servo issue

Drove my car for the first time in 6 months today, and it didn't go well! This is the 2nd proper drive (over 10 miles) since the car was rebuilt. I had fitted a straight piece of hose between the inlet manifold and servo until someone pointed out that I need a non-return valve in that hose to stop the brakes from being pulled on constantly.

So I fitted a non-return valve and when I took the car for a drive today I made it 100 yards before the engine stalled from trying to fight against the brakes being stuck on. I took the valve out, turned it round and then the brakes were released so could drive the car fine but the pedal went completely stiff with no servo assistance.

Tried fitting a standard hose from my mate's SR20 with the non-return valve in the middle, but had exactly the same symptoms. So is my engine drawing too much vacuum pressure or is my servo knackered? It's a Z32 servo and BMC but shouldn't make any difference.

Rides
    If you have fed the servo positive pressure it may be damaged as it’s only ever designed to see vacuume

The arrow on the one way valve should point away from the servo

Rides
    That's what I'm thinking, don't mind if I have killed the servo, will just pick up another one. Checked all my calipers and surprisingly all pistons are moving freely after sitting outside for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    If you have fed the servo positive pressure it may be damaged as it’s only ever designed to see vacuume

The arrow on the one way valve should point away from the servo

Rides
    Sorted now. The servo was the culprit. Replaced it with an R33 GTR servo (same as the Z32 one that was on there) and it's fixed.