Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting engine for first time after 7 years

Rides

Starting engine for first time after 7 years

I'm hopefully going to be starting my s14a for the first time in 7 years after a perlonged rebuild. After looking up online the following is the most complete advice I could find but was wondering if it's accurate?

Make sure there's fresh oil in the engine before you start it. You don't want 4 years of sludge buildup being sucked in by your oil pump, since there's a 90% chance the oil is so thick and cold, the filter will be bypassed and all the crap ends up in your narrow oil galleries, possibly blocking them and/or damaging main and big end bearings and such.

Check coolant level and inspect hoses for possible dried out weak spots.

If at all possible, get the cam/rocker cover off and lube a bit extra there. A dab of moly grease on the cams and/or rockers helps.

Inspect the belt and tensioners, if the engine has a belt drive distribution. Tensioners have a habit of getting stuck on one position so try and wiggle/wobble them a bit if possible. If the belt looks dried out or otherwise questionable, replace it before starting the engine.

Take the spark plugs out after you've cleaned the area around them, you don't want debris falling in. Check them and replace if not "as new", but don't put them in yet.

Rotate the engine the proper direction by hand, to feel for snags and blocking.

If all seems okay, disable high voltage ignition. Either pull the 12V from your coil(s) or unplug the crank sensor if it's an electronical system.

Disable fuel injection by unplugging the crank sensor or pull all plugs on the injectors (make sure you know which one goes where)

Crank the engine for up to 20 seconds, check for oil pressure. If you only have a warning light and no dial, you may want to keep the cam/rocker cover on loosely. After those 20 seconds, check for fresh oil on the cams. Repeat a few times if required. If repeating doesn't get you any oil pressure, either your indicator is broken, or you have a serious problem with your oil system. Check and repair where required.

If you have a freely running engine with oil pressure and fresh oil everywhere, you can put it back together again.*

If at all possible, get fresh fuel, 4 year old fuel isn't going to be the same. Gasoline is a rather active mixture of hundreds of chemical components. Some vaporize, some react with each other, so after 4 years, it won't be the best anymore. You may be able to run an engine on it, but I'd toss it in a shopping vehicle that's running well, not in a car that could use all the help it needs to get going again.

Make sure the clutch engages and disengages and you are in neutral before you attempt to start the car. You wouldn't be the first to depress the clutch and still have the wheels connected to the engine. Plates stick sometimes.

Start her up! Let her warm up, check for defects, damages, strange noises and such. Let her run until the fans kick in and let her cool off.*

Then replace coolant if you haven't already. Yes, that stuff is a chemical mix as well and needs replacement after a few years, even when the engine hasn't been running. It reacts with air and it has corrosion inhibitors that have to work inside your engine, whether you run it or not.

Once you have that sorted out, make sure you have tires, brakes and other safety features checked and fixed before you drive the car. Brake fluid also needs to be changed, same story about chemicals, reactions and in this case, water taken in. The stuff attracts water and you don't want your brake pipes to rust, clog up or boiling brake fluid

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    That's a long bit of text ,,got to 90% chance the oil will bypass the oil filter ? that only happens when the filter is mega old and can no longer filter oil
    as in the filter element is so clogged with dirt engine crud instant gasket sealer etc so an inbuilt valve allows the oil to bypass to complete the system
    if the filter is new and can flow oil it will flow oil as designed
    I will continue reading

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Tbh if you follow the advicebin your post you should be fine.

I’d change oil, remove rocker cover to check for rust etc put it back together, unplug cars and remove fuel pump fuse. Crank until the oil pressure light goes off, reconnect everything and start it. Water leaks etc will show them selves.

Probably worth putting the car in gear and rocking it to check the engine isn’t seized too.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    the rest seems ok just that bit about filters I didn't agree with
    could pull the rocker cover and dribble some fresh engine oil over the cams to prevent any metal to metal on first engine turn over
    with spark plugs out I like to wind an engine over by hand many times to draw some oil up or at least prime the oil pump pick up
    unplug the cas sensor could pull fuel pump fuse so pump don't prime during first key over
    crank it over with no plugs till oil light goes out, inspect for leaks as it has some pressure,not much but better find a leak now than when it's running
    if at the oil light going out stage it stays on for ages suspect something is leaking/stopping it get oil pressure
    don't crank it ages if that happens
    if oil light goes out lifting the rocker cover back off and check oil is at the cams and evidence oil has come out spray bars like a drip from each hole
    cranking it over with no rocker cover will make a proper mess I'm guessing
    No leaks,oil light has gone out,plugs back in reconnect CAS fuel pump fuse and go for first start up

Rides
    Thank you v much, really don't want to be out £1000 if the engine blows up over something silly. I appreciate your effort, it was a long read

Rides
    if it starts don't let it idle,keep revs at 2>3 k revs for 20/30 seconds then shut it off and inspect for leaks anywhere
    oil coolant F&R crankseals etc
    if all is well you are at the next time it runs you need to drive it,
    not flat out but with some load so new piston rings on honed bores wear together
    instead of no load on the engine on idle the rings will glaze the bores loose compression/create blow by
    and worst it will never make full power

Rides
    ive ran sr20's with no rocker covers fitted and it don't make that much of a mess.

i would put some new or add some fresh fuel,,
    drain the oil out and fit a new filter,
    take the cam cover off and unplug CAS and fuel pump fuse.
    whip the plugs out
    pour new oil all over camshafts
    turn over on the starter motor until oil pressure light goes out.
    refit rocker cover and CAS / pump fuse and do a massive burnout or leave ticking over till its upto temperature.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhillen View Post
    Thank you v much, really don't want to be out £1000 if the engine blows up over something silly. I appreciate your effort, it was a long read

fingers crossed it all goes to plan mate

Rides
    That seems a lot of work I’d personally just change the oil and filter unplug the cas plug and spin it for 20 seconds till the light goes out and start it and as above keep the revs up then kill it after a minute and check everything

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    if it starts don't let it idle,keep revs at 2>3 k revs for 20/30 seconds then shut it off and inspect for leaks anywhere
    oil coolant F&R crankseals etc
    if all is well you are at the next time it runs you need to drive it,
    not flat out but with some load so new piston rings on honed bores wear together
    instead of no load on the engine on idle the rings will glaze the bores loose compression/create blow by
    and worst it will never make full power
    It wasn't an engine rebuild, engine was just cleaned up, nothing more. The great of the car had been rebuilt. But thank you anyway.

Rides
    my bad I thought it was an unrun complete rebuild,if the pistons stayed in the bores then ignore the break in process
    if the pistons came out and same rings were re-used going easy on it before going flat out would help things settle/wear together
    you still need do the leak checks and fluid levels before going for a drive

Rides
    Put it (carfully) in first gear and rev it above 1500rpm to fill the vvt solenoid, or use a 12v on the solenoid.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by polcastrol View Post
    Put it (carfully) in first gear and rev it above 1500rpm to fill the vvt solenoid, or use a 12v on the solenoid.
    Thanks

Rides
    How did it go?

Rides
    Ended up sending the sump pulleys and cam cover off to be powder coated so haven't got it started yet. The company had trouble matching the colour of the paint on the car which is why it took so long.

Should be back tomorrow and I'm off work so I'll be trying then.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by polcastrol View Post
    I'm assuming that the solenoid takes oil from the head so i would start the engine and leave it at idle making sure theres oil around the head then put the 12v to the solenoid

Also can anyone confirm that the vvt solenoid is the part sticking out of the head of the engine between the head and inlet manifold just behind the TB

Rides
    vvt solenoid location is how you describe it,if the VVT was silent and working Ok before the work
    ,as long as the engine is cranked over till oil light goes out before you start it the oil will be at the solenoid/sprocket when it starts
    could check the turbo oil feed has oil before 1st start if it's been out the car a long while

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    vvt solenoid location is how you describe it,if the VVT was silent and working Ok before the work
    ,as long as the engine is cranked over till oil light goes out before you start it the oil will be at the solenoid/sprocket when it starts
    could check the turbo oil feed has oil before 1st start if it's been out the car a long while
    I was going to take off the oil return from the turbo to make sure it's got all the way through the turbo before starting it.

Rides
    that will do,and less oil mess option as well tbh

Rides
    I'm getting the cam cover and sump back in about an hour, what liquid gasket do I need for them and do I only need to put some on the semi circle bits of the cam cover