Thread: Electrical problem no power anywhere

Rides

Electrical problem no power anywhere

hi

i know this is my third post today but im working on the car atm and coming across problems so please bear with me.

Ive rebuild most of the car over the last number of years and will hopefully soon be finished but i have ran into an electrical problem and im an idiot when it comes to auto electrics and no idea how to read wiring diagrams

atm the ecu loom is connected up and the loom to the fuse box is connected bar the section that runs along the front of the car to the lights etc. I connected up a charged battery to confirm everything was working and to get some lights on the dash for the first time in years but cannot get it to work. I first assumed it must be a grounding issue anf found a few small grounds that were not connected and connected them to the nearest bolt for now. Any of the grounds front the loom along the front of the car were grounded directly to the battery neg terminbal as that part of the loom was just sitting loose. the alternator bracket is off being powder coated so i connected up the alternator and ran a heavy cable from the housing to the engine block in lieu of the housing being bolted straight to the block. I have used an alternator and checked continuity for all the earths and they are all good. the big earth that goes to the fuse box only connects with the ignition turned on all the rest seem to be permanent. When checking voltage Im getting slightly over 12v across the battery terminals and the same checking the positive against any earth.

with all that it still doesnt work. when i connect the terminals im not getting that tiny spark you would normally expect and no sign of power to anything else.

can anyone help
    Last edited by johnnyhillen; 03-08-2018 at 22:48.

Rides
    i would wait till you have everything connected up properly before you stick a battery on it.

Rides
    i had to replace the loom so wanted to make sure everything worked ok before i built the rest up

i've narrowed the problem down to the alernator. when i bypass it and connect the + on the battery directly to the +input on the fusebox eveything works as expected.

does anyone know what would cause this to happen with the alternator

Rides
    the biggest fuse in the front fusebox mate

Rides
    This fuse

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk