Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Well they wouldn't, hence I used the wack face to point out how wack it is.
    I know, just pre-empting some of the others' questions you may have got

The UK figures are extremely, and I suspect deliberately, wooly about the UK/NZ deal. It says our deal will increase bilateral trade with NZ by 60% and estimates it'll be worth £800 million to us.

It also says we currently do about £2.3 bn worth of trade with NZ but doesn't explain how that's split.

So I see plenty of Brexiteers defending the deal as better because it is 60% whereas the EU deal is a net increase of 30%.

One of those stories where the figures are made deliberately vague, I suspect to hide the fact it's likely worthless to us.
    Figures will always be massaged to make them look better. Just remember the figures that got us here in the first case

Rides
    GBNews at it again with the misinformation as we join the CPTPP.

https://www.gbnews.com/politics/brex...c-cptpp-update

Brexit trade boost as UK signs £12trillion treaty in breakthrough that could not be achieved in EU
    It is worth £1.8 bn to the UK.

And it gives us preferential trading terms with these countries: Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile, New Zealand, Australia, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Japan.

I'm sure you can agree that those are not exactly geographical neighbours of ours.

Expecting no VAT and import duty on your JDM parts? Think again. This is a commercial agreement that will not benefit private buyers.

Rides
    Net gain is expected to be 0.08% of GDP, over 10 years. Net loss thanks to Brexit is around 4%.

A stunning victory.

Rides
    The UK has re-joined the Horizon scheme for Scientific funding, which is excellent news.

What is not excellent news is our yearly contribution to be in the scheme has risen by a billion a year more than it was before Brexit. Fantastic work gammons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66737714

Rides
    Absolutely amazing, Sunak and Johnson have both stood separately touting how good our independent 'replacement' (and I use that word lightly) for Horizon was going to be and how we didn't need Horizon, yet here we are, 3 years on, arguably 6 years on, and the unified voice of the actual experts wins again.

So we are back to where we started, but paying more.

Expect more of this in the future!

Rides
    How long before the argument to re-join the EU is about how much money we'd save and how much red tape we'll remove??

Rides
    Haha, never. I wish it would go that way but as we proved here in this very topic, Brexit voters, in general, don't need facts to vote on. They need feelings.

Even now, considering that they voted to reduce migration and in the face of increased legal and illegal immigration, they'll still never accept going back in is a good thing.

Rides
    So the India trade deal becoming a priority is interesting. Quote

Quote Originally Posted by The Telegraph
    Brexit means Britain can “attach” itself to India’s booming economy and benefit from its success, Rishi Sunak has said....
    Doesn't sound very independent to me.

If you didn't like immigration before Brexiteers, and you hated hearing white people talking in strange tongues, just you wait till we grant visas en masse to 'brown' people. You'll have nightmares

The other point of interest for me is that the UK Government is attempting, again, to delay the roll out of the rules it negotiated and signed up to, specifically for the car industry. It's good for me that it gets delayed, but of course it wouldn't be an issue at all had we not left

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2407732.html

Rides
    HS2 - spent 10s of Billions and it will save 20 minutes to get from London to Birmingham

If the French had built it, probably would have cost a tenth and it would be running by now....

Yeah the Brits do things so much better than EU countries

Rides
    Time saving is out the window completely now it's not even going into London proper.

If you're traveling from Birmingham to London, who's really going to chose getting dropped off somewhere down the line from Paddington and being left to make their own way the rest of the journey?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Time saving is out the window completely now it's not even going into London proper.

If you're traveling from Birmingham to London, who's really going to chose getting dropped off somewhere down the line from Paddington and being left to make their own way the rest of the journey?
    I heard the money they were saving by not going past Birmingham will pay for the link to Euston

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I heard the money they were saving by not going past Birmingham will pay for the link to Euston
    I dunno it's not looking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    The HS2 rail line will not be extended to London Euston unless enough private investment is secured for the project.

If cash is not put forward by private funds, the high-speed line will only run from Birmingham to Old Oak Common in the capital's western suburbs.

This would mean passengers travelling to central London would have to change.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67021225

Rides
    To be fair to the Tories though, this isn't Brexit. It's just their own mismanagement

RTE published an article today polling 9% of survey respondents saying they believed Brexit had gone well, though they don't make clear how many people were surveyed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2023/...8-poll-brexit/

Rides
    To be fair to the Tories though, this isn't Brexit. It's just their own mismanagement

RTE published an article today polling 9% of survey respondents saying they believed Brexit had gone well, though they don't make clear how many people were surveyed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2023/...8-poll-brexit/
    Isn't it though. For years we have heard how we can do things so much better than the EU.. This is proof where sometimes we can't

Rides
    Hmmm, I remember the rhetoric but I don't think it was ever used in respect of HS2.

I could be wrong though, but I'm not prepared to go any further in defending the Tories

Rides
    Well funk me

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Brexit-backing Tory minister Steve Baker has admitted that the historic vote to leave the EU should have required a supermajority of 60 per cent.

Mr Baker told a meeting of the British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly (BIPA) on Monday that it should “probably should have been a supermajority” of at least 60 per cent to leave the bloc.

He added: “If it had been a 60-40 result, it’s inconceivable to me that we would have had all of the political difficulty which followed from members of parliament in particular refusing to accept the result.”
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2434582.html

He is a prized prick on a good day, this is just another slap. For context, he is the Northern Ireland minister so he is making the case that Ireland shouldn't reunite without a decisive majority.

I hate Conservative Brexiteers. So much.
    Last edited by piman2k; 24-10-2023 at 12:14.

Rides
    And, just for good measure:

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The cap on bankers' bonuses is being removed as part of a post-Brexit shake-up of UK financial rules, it has been confirmed.

The plan was announced by former chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng last year as a way of making London a more attractive place to do business.

It was one of the few mini-budget policies to remain after most were unwound by Mr Kwarteng's successor.

The cap on bonuses will be lifted from 31 October, the regulator said.

Introduced in 2014 when the UK was part of the EU, the cap was designed to curb excessive risk taking in the financial services industry in the wake of the 2008 financial crash.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67206997

You remember that crash, you know, the one entirely caused by the property and banking sectors over-stepping lines carelessly driven entirely by profit, the crash that put 50,000 UK families out of their homes between 2008 and 2012.

That crash.

Rides
    £850 million reduction in british beauty product exports attributed entirely to Brexit customs processing delays according to Oxford Economics.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

Eight hundred and fifty million quid. In one sector.

Rides
    Well funk me

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2434582.html

He is a prized prick on a good day, this is just another slap. For context, he is the Northern Ireland minister so he is making the case that Ireland shouldn't reunite without a decisive majority.

I hate Conservative Brexiteers. So much.
    The UK is more divided than ever. Northern Ireland is a tinderpot and the agreement a child could have created a better one... Scotland were told during Indyref "The only way you can stay in EU is to not vote for independence".... yeah look how that turned out

Rides
    And, just for good measure:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67206997

You remember that crash, you know, the one entirely caused by the property and banking sectors over-stepping lines carelessly driven entirely by profit, the crash that put 50,000 UK families out of their homes between 2008 and 2012.

That crash.
    Anyone remember "NINJA" loans? The ones where they would give you a mortgage where you had No Income No Job No asset?

And then .....