Thread: Replacing Front Suspension

Rides

Replacing Front Suspension

Hi I hope someone can steer (excuse the pun..) me in the right direction with regards to changing up my suspension. I still have the factory arms and linkages but to no surprise, all the bushes are perishing and everything is a little corroded to say the least...

So it has come time to replace it all, I will start initially with the front suspension as it is in a bit worse state than the rear. I have been told the bits I definitely need are "tension rod" (no. 8) and "transverse link with ball joint" (no. 10), that's the names and numbers from the owner's manual I have been told need replacing first. Effectively I need replacement front and lower arms.

My aim is to keep the car as OEM as possible, as I treat it like a GT car, so I'm not really fussed about adjustability or extra stiffness. I have had a brief look online and found front lower control arms for sale from Garage-D for £240 each: https://garage-d.com/nissan-s14-s15-...nuine-oem.html

As I will probably end up replacing everything, does anyone know a company that sells a purpose-built kit with all the parts for the front suspension system, similar to the ones out there for bushes etc? Or has anyone done this procedure and can give me tips on how to proceed?

Unfortunately, I have ZERO mechanical skills! So, I will be getting it done by a local garage I trust! So if I can save some money by buying the parts "in bulk" that will be a win for me! Also, if they are replacing one bit, it will be cheaper to do it all.

Cheers in advance!

Rides
    Is this a S13 or S14? There's a difference. (I see you linked S14 parts)

I don't think there's anyone out there doing kits for standard parts, not anymore.
    What is available is an absolute ton of aftermarket parts, see here

Standard parts are still available, you've just got to do a little digging for part numbers.

If you know the year of the car, you can generally get part numbers online.
    Last edited by R3K1355; 10-11-2023 at 18:20.

Rides
    Sorry I should've said! Its for a S14a. Ok brilliant, I will have a look through the driftworks website. My only concern with going aftermarket is it might reduce the feel of the car and make it "harsh" to drive? I hope there is a happy medium out there

Rides
    I've been doing some googling and may have found a solution:

Buy these lower control arms from Detroy or Die. Then add these rubber bushes from Hardrace and these rubber ball joints.

Is anyone able to check my "maths" on this! Will the bushes fit into the destroy or die control arms? Then I can try and do the same and get OEM Tension Rods.

Or if I went the other route to save loads of money, I would buy this control arm and tension rod kit, could this be set up in a non-aggressive way? Or does it not work like that?

Cheers again!

Rides

Rides
    https://www.efisolutions.com.au/

This place are wicked for oem parts. They have sooooo much stuff for our cars. Prices are good and delivery ain't bad either. Failing that there's Conceptua on Ebay and Garage D or Slide Motorsport for second hand parts.

Rides
    your probably better off getting your old bushes pressed / burnt out and fitting poly bushes then get some ball joints fitted. you could ask your garage to dis assemble the old stuff then get it media blasted and powder coated before fitting the new bushes. you might aswel fit new steering arms and ends as you will need 2 wheel alignment. new springs and shocks too if your feeling like spending.

Rides
    Ok brilliant, cheers everyone, I will have a look into the parts now!

That's part of the problem I could really make this into an Alladin cave of spending money! Very quickly and easily I reckon I could burn over £5k on this!!!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If it’s a road car as you say standard arms with Oem style bushes are the way forward imo.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    If you are budgeting to replace the arms at £240 as per your original link then I would say get these:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/nismo-trans...t-s14-s15.html

They are a replacement arm of the same quality but with the Nismo bushes and joints. They are intended to be a fast road alternative and are plug and play.

Same for the traction rods:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/nismo-tensi...5-r33-r34.html

That's part of the problem I could really make this into an Alladin cave of spending money! Very quickly and easily I reckon I could burn over £5k on this!!!
    Yep, this is very easy. You should know this as an S14 owner
    Last edited by piman2k; 13-11-2023 at 14:16.

Rides
    That is exactly what I have been looking for! Absolute hero!

Still comes out cheaper than 2 OEM arms anyway, which says a lot about the price of OEM Nissan parts...

Rides
    Better keep hold of your wallet though, there's a full NISMO range to be splashing out on.

Link

Rides
    You're welcome chap, but bear in mind the actual arm is the same as the OEM, it is an OEM arm but will silver paint. The difference is in the bush and it the joint, although it has never been actually proven the joint is different.

Rides
    Quite possibly isn't, it's not something people have ever really identified as an issue, so I can't see why they'd waste time re-designing it.

Rides
    Whats the difference between the NISMO bushes and OEM bushes? Is it worth it? To be honest I may end up getting these anyway as it will still come out cheaper than OEM.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Same as the nismo engine mounts which are the same as standard iirc.

Nismo arms look great and once you factor in new balljoints and bushes plus paint etc for your standard arms they work out not all that different in price
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    they probably are just the stock stuff but new and not 100 years old, so feel great in comparason.

tbh i would just buy a set of used standard arms off someone building a driftcar, get them sorted out then get your garage to fit them. you used to be able to get a complete car polybush kit off ebay america.

Rides
    The Nismo bushes have a higher shore hardness than standard.

Nismo engine mounts are not the same as standard either, not even geometrically.