Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended drifting tyres?

Rides

Recommended drifting tyres?

thought it may be an idea to start a thread on rubber...

I recently fitted a pair of 'Arrowspeed E150' tyres to my rears (needed MOT and going to do a 5 lug conversion so really didnt want to waste money on good rubber) and they seem perfect for drifting

easy to kick out, but progressive when they do, I'm finding them very predictable and look like they should be durable (no chunks of tread blocks missing yet)

anyone else have tyre tips?

Rides
    avon zz1 ditchfinders.

just about acceptable for actualy driving. fecking hard rubber. last for ages.

Rides
    Just out of interest is there anyway we could have a list of garages that do decent cheap tyres or partworns so it makes it easier for us to get some for the events this year? I have no idea what to get at the moment, i'm just going to wonder around bucks until i find some part worns for my wheels ready for the the March practice.

Rides
    I suspect almost any tyre fitting shop will supply you with almost illegal tyres for just a fitting charge as they have to pay to get old tyres disposed of.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    For those of you in essex,

try ........

I forgot it i'll edit later when i remember

But it's in Ramsdon Heath, which is down a country lane

out the back of Wickford/Billericay/Stock,

They have alot of part worn tyres,

also have 2nd Hand and new alloys

and do a re-furb service on alloys

if anyone urgently interested PM me and i'll look it up
    Last edited by Rob-S13; 11-02-2004 at 14:46.

Rides
    CHEAP ECO TYRES eco because the tread is designed to relieve traction hense longer life to car

Rides
    I've got a deal with a local tyre fitter and an ATS place I am friendly with. They have to pay a quid a tyre to get rid of them and are more than willing to let me have some FOC.
    heh, when I first mentioned it he said "How many do you want? 10?"

Never paying for drift tyres ever again, me
    astraboy.

Rides

part worns

most single outlet places will have part worns , i had about ten second hand tyres on the back of mine in about 9 months
    cost about 20 25 euro a tyre(17sterling)

Rides
    Originally posted by ATrull
    avon zz1 ditchfinders. just about acceptable for actualy driving. fecking hard rubber. last for ages.
    seconded
    as others have said though, the best tyres for drifting are cheap ones Most tyre places will sort you out drift tyres for very cheap. You might find they're not that keen unless you explain they're not for road use though
    James

The Driftworks Control System 2. In Stock Now!-------------------- What is Drifting?

Rides
    Hmm.. I think cheapass used ones are good for practice and that, but me and Ade found that a better tyre actually feels nicer to drift on.. Ade ran his Traction Rating "AA" tyres front and back, and i ran a wider (for an 86) 195/50 tyre instead of 175/185 cheap-o's and found everthing was alot nicer... Plus good tyres make more smoke

Somthing to think about, because although you want it easy to break out, its also gotta be tractable enough to allow control?

Paz

Rides
    CORRECT PAZZA

Rides
    I use Ping-Pong Ditchfinders
    the 28 pound a throw cheap-ass tyres that mytyres.co.uk can supply.

Total rubbish, but lots of rubber and cheap.

Good tyres are better to drift on, but it's too expensive to do for me.

Rides
    yup, you don't want really crap tyres, all I meant was that there's no point in buying new ones when most tyre places have a stock of tyres they've taken off and are throwing out, many of which still have a good few thousand miles on them and are decent makes.
    James

The Driftworks Control System 2. In Stock Now!-------------------- What is Drifting?

Rides
    Originally posted by NewClearBomb
    yup, you don't want really crap tyres, all I meant was that there's no point in buying new ones when most tyre places have a stock of tyres they've taken off and are throwing out, many of which still have a good few thousand miles on them and are decent makes.
    No tyre I've ever had taken off has had a few thousand miles left on it! My philosophy on tyre wear is to get every last pennies worth of use out of it...

Most have been slick across 3/4 of the tyre, some have been able to see canvas or metal!!! Why throw away a perfectly semi-legal tyre???

Rides
    Originally posted by PazzaAE86
    Hmm.. I think cheapass used ones are good for practice and that, but me and Ade found that a better tyre actually feels nicer to drift on.. Ade ran his Traction Rating "AA" tyres front and back, and i ran a wider (for an 86) 195/50 tyre instead of 175/185 cheap-o's and found everthing was alot nicer... Plus good tyres make more smoke

Somthing to think about, because although you want it easy to break out, its also gotta be tractable enough to allow control?

Paz
    Yep, totally agree, I try to only drift on good tyres now

Rides
    Tried all the garages around here. Most refuse to let you use old tyres in case you luse them on-road. Others stick a knife into all tyres, because kids kept climbing over the wall and taking them to put on their Novas/whatever.

Only place that'll do it never has my size.

Rides

hunting is a skill

hunting down second hand tyres is a skill takes practice ,
    u think ur shit at it, n going to buy new ones ,then u find 4 p6000 going cheap,
    @jack i m same dont take them off till there slicks!!!!!! i love slicks the crack u have in a wet day , i do b afraid thou that the back will breakaway under heavy breaking

Rides
    hi all.

first admit, i'm beginner at drift, and do not want too grip from the back.
    did found if i put wrong tires, ie left back to right back, and vice versa, it is amazing how easy is to start drift. i now have winter tires. GY ultragrip4. what do you think?
    Last edited by frx1; 12-02-2004 at 21:53.

Rides
    If you want to drift.. When I bought my car it had 'Champiro' tyres on (only about £40 ea!) by the the time i'd tuned it to over 270bhp i found that (in the wet) i could (without trying) light the tyres up in 4th gear at 105mph! so yes excellent tyres to learn drifting on (because you either learn fast or crash) but naff all grip in anything other than bone dry tracks. Have 225x18 Toyos now much better grip and still predictable with the tail out.

Rides
    I spent the previous weekend trying numerous garages for part worns and they all laughed at me or told me to go away. The only one that would do them wanted £25 a piece for them, which seemed a bit steep to me. Now i'll have to find some the day before the silverstone practice otherwise i'll have to wreck my road tyres.