Thread: Japanese History of Drifting

Rides

Japanese History of Drifting

I've been reading the thread about the novice drifting and reading about the fact that drifting has been popular for the past 20 years which got me thinking. Back in the early days of drifting, what cars would they have used? Did they still use Japanese cars or would they have used more expensive imports? Does anyone have any pics at all?

Also when did the competitons etc start? I just wondered if anyone knew much more about it as i don't really and i find it interesting.

Rides
    They probably still used Japanese cars because they had loads of suitable ones at the time, especially on the Nissan/Datsun side. Stuff like the older Skylines, maybe some Z's?

Oh man, that picture is great.

Rides
    AE86 was a favorite.

RX-7 FB (like mine)

There was loads of stuff about that was good enough.

I don't know when the comp's started

Rides
    BC110 Sunny (Keiichi's first car i think?) and the older Skyline and Z car range are cars id guess would of been popular (KGPC10 and KGPC110 GTR's) as would most of the FR Nissan and Toyota range, just like today. Perhaps Toyota's 2000GT would of been used, KP61 Starlet's and TE2# to TE7# range of Corolla's (these were pre-AE86) etc.

All the usual suspects really, anything FR Seems like nothing has been documented but as you know, most anything that can be used would of been, just like today.

Paz

Rides
    Originally posted by PazzaAE86
    TE2# to TE7# range of Corolla's (these were pre-AE86) etc.
    Yeh i figured these may have been, especially as that have been/are still used as rally cars. I figured that may have used RX3's/Rx5's, possibly old Celicas etc. Some of those cars look really cool actually. Didn't they only make a few 2000gt's though, i thought they were really rare/expensive?

Rides
    Originally posted by Genjuro
    Didn't they only make a few 2000gt's though, i thought they were really rare/expensive?
    Yeah they were kinda rare... Id hope back in the day there was more, cus that 2000GT and the first GTR is where the whole Nissan and Toyota war started

Thinking about it too, they used to make some pretty hot Toyota Carina's back then too.. Acutally pretty much any car you can think of was RWD back then... Not like todays economy driven market. I bet it was fun, whatever the history was!

Paz

Rides
    Cordia Turbo

Rides
    i had a skyline c210, it was really stable with the ass out,nice lazy n/a 6 2.4l engine
    wish i still had it ,it was so pimped out as standard

Rides
    I'm still after a C210 sometime in the future, so I can convert it into something like..... this -

I think Japan's old car scene is so cool, ours is nearly all about purity and the owners not wanting to change anything except the wheels in most cases, but they're there fitting overfenders and tuning up the engines! Great!

Rides
    kp61s seem to be common theme for todays heros back in the day. Signal auto's first car was a kp, and Ueo learned to drift in one!
    anyone else know any info that makes them sound cool? need to sell mine