Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horsham Developments background

Rides

Horsham Developments background

Horsham Developments has been running for around 4 years now, and I thought I'd give everyone some background on how I got to where I am today.

I, Jez Horsham, the owner of Horsham-Developments (the trading name of H-Dev Ltd.), has been involved with cars and engines from an early age. I've helped build a replica AC Cobra (with a Jaguar V12 engine) with my father and built an off road go-kart with a number of different engines, from a lawn mower 4-stroke to finally a 250cc 2-stroke engine.

Cobra on track at Abingdon:

After gaining an MSc degree in Physics from Bristol University, I got my first job full time job and bought a standard Nissan 200SX

It didn't stay standard for long. After changing the exhaust and air filter for free flow items I increased the boost pressure. This provided a great increase in performance. That was until the cold winter air started to trigger the standard ECU's fuel cut system. The fuel cut is what prompted me to start investigating what was going on and initiated my research into the workings of the ECU.

I spent a huge amount of time working with the 200SX ECU and managed to work out how to modify the fuelling and ignition maps. I also found out how to alter the annoying fuel cut. After extensive testing I began to sell what is known as the Stage 1 ECU upgrade. This upgrade was mapped on my car, with free flow air filter and exhaust and also an uprated fuel pump.

As I continued to modify my own car I released the Stage 2 and Stage 3 upgrades.

After my work with the S13 200SX, I started to work on the S14 and S14a. Again, a huge amount of time was spent figuring out how these ECUs function.

Obviously, working out how the standard ECU functions is only part of the problem. In order to map any engine you need the right tools.

I have developed my own mapping software. This allows me to modify any map while the engine is running, and provides map tracing and AFR logging.

Heres a screenshot of some of the software I've written:

Each off the shelf ECU upgrade has been optimised for a specific set of modifications. The maps have been tested for many many hours to ensure you get good fuel economy, good performance and most importantly reliability.

To map a standard ECU I currently use the following:
    My own mapping software
    A wide band lambda sensor to monitor fuelling
    A pair of det headphones to listen for detonation
    A 4 gas emissions analyser to make sure that there will be no MOT emissions problems

My S13 is still running the standard ECU, it has 950cc injectors, a GT30 turbo, lumpy cams and produces ~480whp. I use the car on track regularly in competitions and track days. A testiment that I fully trust my mapping and that power is not limited by a standard ECU.

My car competing in the 2006 Time Attack at Silverstone:

In addition to mapping standard ECUs I can map cars with the following after market hardware:
    Power FC
    SAFC
    Emanage

In my opinion, mapping these systems is actually easier than mapping a standard ECU because I don't need to figure out how they work and develop special hardware and software.

During a mapping session, with the Power FC or standard ECU for example, the following is carried out:
    1) The maps are changed to suit the AFM and injectors the engine is using
    2) The engine is started and brought up to operating temperature
    3) Under my instruction the car is driven while the AFR is being logged. The measured AFR value is stored in a grid that mirrors the fuelling map. This way each value in the fuelling map can be matched up with its corresponding AFR. This allows adjustment of each and every cell in the fuel map, so the AFR is exactly what is required.
    4) Next the ignition timing is altered - not only is the full load ignition timing optimised to prevent detonation, but the low load off boost timing is optimised so throttle response and fuel economy is maximised.
    Note - beware of places that just map the full load sites. This will result in a car that feels flat and unresponsive.
    5) Changing the ignition timing can alter the fuelling so steps 3 and 4 are often repeated until the maps are as good as they can get.
    6) Next is to adjust the idle characteristics. This is done using my recently acquired 4 gas emissions analyser.
    7) The cold start maps are generally adequate as standard, unless the engine is heavily modified. If there is a problem then the cold start maps are adjusted as required.

I generally do my mapping on the road - I find that this gives a realistic environment in which to optimise the maps. I also use a rolling road in the event that mapping on the road is inappropriate. Rolling roads have a number of advantages and disadvantages compared to mapping on the road. For example its very difficult to measure throttle response on a rolling road, conversely diagnosing faults that only occur at high load can be difficult on the public road. Mapping on a rolling road is more expensive, but can be invaluable in some situations.

I hope the above has given you a better understanding of what H-Dev Ltd. is all about. I don't just sell ECU upgrades - I develop my own software, custom map standard and aftermarket systems and offer great value for money.

For more information, please look at my web site: www.h-dev.co.uk, email/PM me or post here

Thanks
    Jez
    Last edited by Jez; 26-06-2006 at 08:07.

Rides
    Nice writeup

Rides
    Cheers
    Just added some pictures

Rides
    Good Stuff

Rides
    top stuff

Rides

Rides
    Nice one Jez

Looking forward to the next chapter

Rides
    good work jez

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (Northampton)
    Rides
    Very imformative for a newbie like me, and should help sway people away from crappy flea-bay chips by explaining the entire process and the r+d you have put in.

I will be in touch in the future when I fitted the relevant supporting mods for one of your chips

:ingerland

Rides
    Nice read mate!

Just wondering for the benefit of the S12 owners whether you could look at an S12 ECU to see if its mappable. Its generally accepted that these can't be chipped but I'm pretty sure it can be in the right hands.

What do you know about the s12 ecu's?

Rides
    Very interesting... You're certainly a clever bloke...

So is your buisness full time now ? or do you have a day job to ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI
    Just wondering for the benefit of the S12 owners whether you could look at an S12 ECU to see if its mappable. Its generally accepted that these can't be chipped but I'm pretty sure it can be in the right hands.

What do you know about the s12 ecu's?
    I don't know very much about the S12s at all - I think I had a look at an ECU a while ago and didn't get very far...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist
    So is your buisness full time now ? or do you have a day job to ?
    Still got a day job, but about to go full time... probably...

Rides
    Excellent !!! Well best of luck mate I hope it keeps on growing. Totally admire people such as yourself who start from nothing and use their brians to get a good buisness running.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    I don't know very much about the S12s at all - I think I had a look at an ECU a while ago and didn't get very far...
    Are you going to JAE? I'm coming on the sunday, I'll give you one of my ECU's for you to look at in your leisure if you're interested.

Rides
    oh so u not a garage? who is the best garage for 200s then? apart from norris?

Rides
    Jez has a workshop now

Rides
    Yup
    What do you want done?

Rides
    so whats the connection with swansea university then?

Rides
    Jezz_s13 works there and hosts my web pages