Thread: s13 l.s.d

Rides

s13 l.s.d

hi im currently making a 200sx s13 into a track car but it doesnt have a slippy diff (lsd) can any 1 tell me if a skyline r33 gts will fit as i no where 1 is or an s14 200 sx

cheers

jacks300zx
    could be wrong but i think the output shafts on a skyline diff wouldnt fit as they have more screws than an s13 one, if that makes any sense!!

Rides
    yes that makes sense il have a look

Rides
    S14 ones fit, you need the front mounting bushes and bolts from the S14 as holes in front mount are different. Have to swap rear cover over as S13 one is extended to hold more oil.

Some other R200V diffs only have 5 bolts flanges, 200SX uses a 6 bolt flange, with the bolts in 3 sets of 2. You can swap stubshafts over but they have to be from a LSD as open diff have 2 equal length stubshafts while LSD has one long, one short. The easiest way to obtain LSD stubshafts is to get the right diff with 6 bolt flanges in first place. There are also "short" and "long" nose diffs.

S14 auto has correct 3.916 ratio for direct replacement in S13. S14 manual has higher ratio 3.692, will give higher speed and reduce rpm in each gear but reduce acceleration, it will also make speedo read incorrectly. Dunno if GTS has same type but R32 GTR has very low 4.36 ratio - will increase rpm in cruise by 10%, if car is tuned above 200bhp it will limit top speed to 145mph but it will give better acceleration in gear. It's also a clutch type which needs special oil or the plates slip and it won't work. Has 5 bolt flanges and as it's not Viscous LSD I doubt if either type of 6 stud flanges fit.

this is useful to see what ratio changes do
    http://www.geocities.com/z_design_st...nsmission.html

For starting point stock UK 200SX S13 data

final drive is 3.916

Gear ratios
    1st 3.592
    2nd 2.057
    3rd 1.361
    4th 1
    5th 0.821

Redline 7200 (limit set in ECU can be moved by mapping ECU)

tyre size 195/60R15

Rides
    Or you could just get an S13 LSD from a later car, for just about peanuts, and direct fit

Rides
    why are the later model s13 lsd's? wot year do the s13's go to?

Rides
    Last few would be '93 but may have been sold in '94, unless you get a Japanese 180SX which used the fastback bodyshell until '98 (all non turbo from late 97 on).

Just about all facelift models have LSD. But we have found a few early ones that don't, only EXEC's got them initially it would seem. So H reg EXEC, everything J, K, L and M reg.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    R32 GTR has very low 4.36 ratio - will increase rpm in cruise by 10%, if car is tuned above 200bhp it will limit top speed to 145mph but it will give better acceleration in gear. It's also a clutch type which needs special oil or the plates slip and it won't work. Has 5 bolt flanges and as it's not Viscous LSD I doubt if either type of 6 stud flanges fit.
    That's very interesting, I already have an R33 GTS-t diff, so have 5-bolt driveshafts. Does this mean an R32 GT-R diff would be a direct fit with an S13 backplate on it?

Anyone know if R32 GT-Rs have 3-way ABS?

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Just about all facelift models have LSD. But we have found a few early ones that don't, only EXEC's got them initially it would seem. So H reg EXEC, everything J, K, L and M reg.
    My mate has bought a J reg and it dont have a slipper.

Rides
    Is there a way of telling from looking at it ?

I'm guessing it must look different inside if not outside

Rides
    Externally should have an orange sticker marked LSD on nearside.

LSD has 10 countersunk set screws that hold the pinion case to the LH flange (viewed from rear) and are on opposite side to bolts that hold the ring gear on. Ring gear is held to flange by 10 bolts that sit in counter bored holes in flange next to bearing, flange has 10 webs, one between each bolt and web extends at full height to rim of flange.

Open diff, the 8 bolts that hold the pinion case to flange are on same side as bolts that hold ring gear to the flange. Bolts sit on flat face of flange, 6 webs taper down to flange rim, 2 are truncated as in line with ring gear bolt heads.

Rides
    Or a pic

Rides
    Blimey, Peter. Bet you're good at 'spot the diff' competitions ?

Final question...and only asked coz I'm nosey about things like this...sorry if it's a stupid one...

Is an open diff or an LSD diff a better start point for a welded diff ?

Rides
    Open diff is easier to weld

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    And cheaper as well

If its a track car them weld it and see how you get on
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go